Pages

Crafts

Monday, December 30, 2013

I always craft/make things for friends and family for Christmas.  I think they are more thoughtful and of course, unique! 
Here are a few things I made over the holidays.

I bought small canvases at Hobby Lobby (you can get any size, just make sure you make your animal stencil larger).  Then I printed off this deer stencil  and this owl stencil. (or just
Google any animal stencil and copy and open it in Word and re-size and print) After you print that off, you will cut it out and stencil it onto your canvas.Next, you will need to make a chevron stencil.  I just got a ruler and made a chevron print on a piece of computer paper.  I cut it out and it made a stencil.  I laid it on the canvas and just copied it piece to piece on the canvas with a pencil (lightly).
Once you have drawn your designs on the canvas, you will paint your chevron print. You can obviously choose any color that you want! Let this dry completely, otherwise the glitter will stick to the wet paint. Then you will use Elmer's glue and trace the outline of the animal print and then get a small paintbrush and fill the inside of the stencil.
After you do that, pour the glitter! A lot of glitter!! Side note: Make sure you do this over a newspaper.  Once you pour the glitter onto the glue, you need to shake it off and then you can pour the glitter back into its container. I did this 2 times just to make sure it was covered completely in glitter.
Once it dries, I held the canvas up and sprayed a ton of hair spray on it.  This acts as a clear coat and it keeps the glitter in place!
I initially made mine for Christmas decor because we had black and white chevron wrapping paper and our decor is deer/antlers/etc but I think I have decided to keep it up! It looks really good on my mantle! After I posted a picture, I made one for my boyfriend's sister, his mom, and my best friend, Katy.
Comment below if you have any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment